Reply To: I think ADHD, psych wants to test for ASD, which sounds absurd

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond I think ADHD, psych wants to test for ASD, which sounds absurd Reply To: I think ADHD, psych wants to test for ASD, which sounds absurd

jadynlonely
Participant

I could not tell at 4 exactly what was going on but the signs were all there for ASD.
My child has zero emotional or communication issues, so I knew he did not fit the typical autism diagnosis. We then turned to ADHD. Some of his issues even at 7 are on the hyper side, like excessive non stop talking, constant ideas and the need for contant acknowledgement that someone is listening.
But he did so many ASD signs that there was no need in my mind to test him for confirmation. We ha e worked with his teacher and school and at home to make him away of why he does each action and find a way to improve the compulsion.
Chewing on anything, not staying seated, aversion to food textures and smells, noise sensitivity, selective hearing, not sitting through hair or nails cut, very clumsy, outburst and obsessive ideas, and being higher sensitive to other people and his own feelings…these all fell to ASD,rather than AHDH. Teaching him to cope with alt methods and no meds, use it as a strength, see what behaviours need to change, and knowing that is he NORMAL and even GIFTED with a brain that works a little differently than typical people helped him made a HUGE turn around this year. He has stopped chewing and he eats some wet foods too! Mentally and emotionally he’s brilliant.
So if you feel that none of those ASD tendencies are your kiddo, I’d stop where you are and see how you along with teachers can raise him to manage it, see it as a gift and a battle to win.
Good luck!!!