Reply To: frustrated with math, and finals coming up!! HELP.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD frustrated with math, and finals coming up!! HELP. Reply To: frustrated with math, and finals coming up!! HELP.

Penny Williams
Keymaster

My teen struggles with math now too. With weak executive functioning skills and poor working memory from ADHD, it makes sense.

While I am against energy drinks because they are so unhealthy, my son got one at school once and told me he had never been so focused. So I got him some for the morning of each of his finals. He did better than usual, so it may have helped, but who knows. I really don’t recommend it, especially if you take stimulant medication, but it seemed to help him some (he didn’t do stellar, but he passed and even got a B on one).

One thing I always did as a student before math tests was review formulas over and over and over. As soon as we were told to start on the test, I filled my scratch paper with every formula I could think of. Then, I could reference it throughout the test and didn’t have to worry about forgetting something I needed later in the test.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism