Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition. Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

anngower54
Participant

I’m sorry to hear your family isn’t supportive, my family is the same way. Most people unless they have it or know someone who does have it and has done research doesn’t understand how badly it can impact your life and unfortunately Being a guy tends to make people even less supportive. The internet is a GREAT resource as long as you go to appropriate sites that dont spew unresearched “facts”. My family was completely insensitive and kept complaining about how things I did wasnt “normal” (newsflash, this is my normal) and it took dragging them into a therapist to explain it to them for them to tone it down a bit. If you do get diagnosed I highly suggest a therapist that specializes in ADHD because while medication helps a lot, it isn’t a cure all. They help a lot in learning to cope and thrive in neurotypical society. Best of luck to you!