Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition. Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

strwbry
Participant

Shake it off bro. If you do have ADHD, a ton of folks are not going to understand it. Truth is, the level of understanding around you doesn’t change at all with the diagnosis, you just finally have a name for your symptoms. If people really want to understand it, they’ll look into it. Don’t try to educate them unless they ask. It’ll just create conflict. Do your own research, make your own decisions about what is right for you, and own who you are. You don’t have to explain yourself. ADHD folks are awesome, like weird little diamonds sprinkled into the population to give it sparkle. We just don’t naturally fit in and take a little longer to find our place in this world. If you’re looking for understanding and acceptance, there’s no one better to reach out to than someone who’s walked into your shoes, and most ADHDers are happy to find a kindred spirit. 😉

Dude, just be you, own you. Cuz who you are is awesome. 🙂

P.S. I’m a terrible driver. I think I only passed my driving test because the instructor felt bad for me. I hate driving, and I’ve been doing it for 15 years.