Reply To: If you're not your ADHD, who are you and how are you similar to neurotypicals?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame If you're not your ADHD, who are you and how are you similar to neurotypicals? Reply To: If you're not your ADHD, who are you and how are you similar to neurotypicals?

strwbry
Participant

I love my ADHD! It is definitely the source of my best and worst qualities, or at least, my biggest successes and greatest failures. But, it IS me, so I love it! If I wasn’t so impulsive, I wouldn’t be so funny, or so creative, or so quick to help. If my attention wasn’t selective, I couldn’t accomplish cool projects or notice the color of the leaves in the sunlight. If I wasn’t so forgetful, I’d be constantly ruminating on the negatives in my past, instead of paying attention to the good things in the present and looking forward to the future. I wouldn’t take crazy risks and dream about what life could be.

If I didn’t have ADHD, I would be boring, and miserable. Like most other adults. But ADHD makes life more vibrant, and if I have to put up with the struggle, at least I get the joys. Besides, nothing is impossible for ADHDers. That struggle makes the success so much sweeter. 😉