Reply To: Another girl without friends

Annie M
Participant

Mostly, I’m just here to thank all of you for making me feel understood for the first time in ages. The sting of rejection is tough for a kid, but it’s also tough for a parent to watch over and over. My bright, nerdy, 11-year-old son struggles with the all black or white thing, too, and he comes across too strong in new friendships. Peers tell him he’s stupid, not funny, and annoying. They tease him about his “anger management issues” right in front of me. I’m supposed to have all the answers, and sometimes, I just don’t know what to tell him.

Supporting each other is important, and I’ve found that other parents of children with ADHD are helpful setting up short, supervised play dates. Even one or two a month is more than my son had before. The other thing that works for us is putting my son around kids 2-3 years younger than he is. He’s 11, but he fits in better with 8-year-olds. They don’t judge him the same way his peers do, and in fact, they think he’s funny and smart. Socially and emotionally, they’re in the same place.

It sounds like girls get through this rough phase a few years sooner than boys. So, I’m hopeful that we’ll see improvement soon, at least in the way classmates treat my son. His own maturity may take more time.

Hugs all around. Seriously. You all made me feel a lot more accepted for a few minutes.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Annie M.