Reply To: First post ever. Recent Graduate. Confused and Need guidance.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD First post ever. Recent Graduate. Confused and Need guidance. Reply To: First post ever. Recent Graduate. Confused and Need guidance.

ADHDinPGH
Participant

“I view decisions big and small, like I’m about to be enslaved by something.”

I totally relate to this feeling. I get so much anxiety around making decisions that, even if they’re “big”, aren’t irreversible. It’s hard to rationalize with yourself when your brain is being irrational but you already understand that’s what you’re doing! What I do when I catch myself having an unproductive internal conversation about a decision is to remind myself that there is no bad choice. Every choice just leads to different learning opportunities. And at the end of the day, even if people think you are flaking out because of your ADHD and anxiety (hey, maybe you are? So what), it’s not going to matter in a year. Or maybe even a month.

As the person above said, break it into small steps. First try just catching yourself having those thoughts and practice debating with that thought — try rationalizing with your irrational inner voice. From there you can start to reframe the conversation with yourself to be more positive.

But really, you already said it yourself, “life isn’t over, it’s just beginning.” And that’s totally true!