Reply To: Constant change in interests

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Constant change in interests Reply To: Constant change in interests

AnneHW
Participant

I feel bad when I read something like this. I really do feel your pain, but I can tell you that it’s not impossible to find something you love and come back to it.

I think part of the problem is after the initial interest we realize there are a lot more details than we ever imagined. I’m not good with that. I hate reading directions, and I often feel frustrated with the amount of time involved in REALLY getting good at something. I love the phrase “jack of all trades, master of none.” That’s how I’ve felt. I’m pretty good at a number of things, but not as good as the people who really dig in and stick with it.

However, I’ve gotten better at narrowing things down now that I’m in my 60s. I don’t know what changed, but gradually I stopped being so hard on myself. I don’t have to be perfect, and it’s not a competition. I’ve always loved horses and riding, but I don’t like showing. I admire the people who can get up at 4:00 a.m. and drive to some show even though it’s hot, raining, whatever, and persevere. That’s not me. But, I’m a good rider and I have a wonderful horse.

I’ve always been artistic, and I so admire the people who really knock it out of the park. But I also understand that it takes hours and hours and hours of work to reach that point. I could never spend that much time on ONE thing. Still, I’m pretty darn good, and I enjoy the learning experience.

Photography is one that comes and goes for me, but I’m definitely getting better. However, I’m not getting up at the crack of dawn for the perfect light.

I have lots of interests, and I always enjoy talking to other people about theirs. And, sometimes I stop something for awhile, take a detour, and come back. That’s good enough.