Reply To: First post ever. Recent Graduate. Confused and Need guidance.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD First post ever. Recent Graduate. Confused and Need guidance. Reply To: First post ever. Recent Graduate. Confused and Need guidance.

JBoom
Participant

I’m almost 50, I’m still not sure what I want to do with my life. I’ve always felt that the perfect career opportunity was just a hair’s breath out of reach. And yet, I have a wonderful career in software engineering.

Unfortunately, part of ADHD is often that sinking feeling that you’re missing out on something better. Which can prevent timely decision making. There is a great hypothesis out there that ADHD is the expression of a “hunter/gatherer” gene, as opposed to the “farming” gene. That is, humans had an evolutionary split when a genetic mutation gave some people the ability to settle down, focus on learning to plant food and raise animals rather than being constantly on the move hunting and gathering food. If you think about all things that make a great hunter/gatherer vs. all the tings that make a great farmer, this hypothesis makes a lot of sense.

You didn’t mention if you had sought treatment for ADHD. Medication and/or therapy can be very helpful in learning to live in a farmer’s world.