Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition. Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

ElleJay
Participant

I have to say that your brother and your dad are really spot-on, with the exception of the name-calling. They are trying to better you, help you become independent. Just because you may or may not have ADHD should not prevent you from practicing driving in an empty parking lot. The reason you won’t practice is because you are fearful, and that is something that a doctor’s diagnosis will not alleviate.

I think that a stranger’s advice on the internet can certainly be helpful, but take it with a grain of salt. If you find that anonymous community forums are helpful, then carry on. But they sure won’t help you learn to drive! Driving is a skill that is learned with practice. You get better the more you do it. Everyone is distracted when they start, but with experience you get a feel for it and learn what to focus on.

You know your father and brother best, and it sounds like they are not much into sympathy. Sounds like they want to build you up, though, in their own way. You are 20 now, and you must recognize that even people who have your best interests at heart might not use the best methods. That’s okay! Don’t feel victimized by their attempts to help you grow.