Reply To: Was tested and told I don't have ADD. Should I try again?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Was tested and told I don't have ADD. Should I try again? Reply To: Was tested and told I don't have ADD. Should I try again?

kim.camera
Participant

That type of test is probably too stimulating for you. My son, who has ADHD, would have passed that test because 1)it’s a game, a competition, which stimulates him 2) it’s a computer game and the blue light from computers and smart phones is stimulating . Plus there was probably some distractions in the game and if so, that makes it more interesting, which would cause one to focus on it more. ADHD is tricky in that way. I think games are a poor use for diagnosis but a great help for ADHD kids to learn.

If you live near a Hallowell Center, all they do is focus on ADHD so their psychologists are well equipped to recognise the subtleties of ADHD. They are a great place to get evaluated. If not, try and research psychologists to find one who focuses primarily on ADHD and deals with adult ADHD. Many psychologists are not up to date on ADHD and it is such a fast changing field for psychology they miss things. A good way to judge a psychologist is to see if they do ADHD testing for high school students to get accommodations for the SAT….those tests are extensive, as required by the College Board, so they should be more knowledgeable. Hope this helps.