Reply To: What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen? Reply To: What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen?

Beckstar
Participant

My mom was the same way. When I was in elementary school and middle school (this was back in the 80s, when it was just called ADD), teachers and counselors tried to tell her that I might have it, but she said “there’s nothing wrong with her, she’s just bored”. I had the drifty, unfocused kind, not the hyperactive kind.

I was diagnosed and given medication finally about 5 years ago. It was eye opening, to say the least. I sometimes wonder whether taking care of it sooner would’ve helped me with some of the struggles I’ve had.

But I’ll tell you, without medical intervention, before my diagnosis, I managed to get through college and get through law school, and I’ve been an attorney for 12 years now. It can be done. But my work is so much better since I was diagnosed.

So my advice to you would be to stop talking to your mom about it. She probably means well, but she’s not helping you. Instead, look into reading books about ADHD. Try “Understand Your Brain, Get More Done” by Ari Tuckman. It’s a little pricey at $30 for a college kid, but it’s an actual workbook that teaches you to understand yourself and use certain tools to improve your executive functioning. I would highly recommend it for a college-bound kid. If you’re serious about doing well, I think it will help you.

Good luck.