Reply To: What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen? Reply To: What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen?

sarahanzy
Participant

So, I’m here, reading this magazine (and consequently, these post thingys) mostly to help support my two sons, who have ADHD. But then I read your query and you remind me that hey, I have it too! (diagnosed a few years ago, but like you, the signs were always there) Happy to share the little I know/have experienced myself if it can help another! 😋

If you’re leaving for college soon, then you’re a)at or almost at 18, yes? This may come as a shock to you, it did to me at 18, but… you can see the Dr without your parents approval/consent. If you’re on their insurance and using that for the visit, and you need to ask them for the health card, etc, that can get kind of hairy, especially if they don’t support your thinking that it’s ADHD. But like someone else mentioned, use the university health center. They will see you and while they may want you to see a counselor and/or psychiatrist or something for an official dx. Keep in mind- they also see college kids all day long, many of them (sad to say) looking for drugs. They will probably be reluctant to start you off on a stimulant med, just FYI. The best thing you can do, I think, is keep doing your research, journal or log your signs/symptoms, however you’re doing that, and do the basic self-care that we all tend to let go- eat right, sleep 8-9 hours, take some “me” time when you need it, balance your life. For me, I keep a list. Ok, I keep a lot of lists. And I have nice markers, lol, so they’re color-coded (to begin with). But to deal with the millions of thoughts beebopping inside my head, ive found I have to get it out. I write little notes everywhere- my kids say we shoulda bought stock in Post-Its- and I highlight, cross-purposes, circle, checkbox things…. It’s a system, probably a silly system that works for me, but the point is that it DOES work for me. You gotta find what works for you. If you need help, just reach out. We’re all here for you! 😊 Good luck!!!