Reply To: Son is being excluded from field trip

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Son is being excluded from field trip Reply To: Son is being excluded from field trip

sarahanzy
Participant

I agree with the post above that encourages you (and really, all of us) to try looking at it from a different point of view rather than getting into an adversarial sticky legal mess, especially if you don’t have to.

I’m just a mom of a couple special needs kids, but about a million years ago, I used to be a teacher. I think, just speaking from my own awesome experience with my kiddos’ school, the best results seem to come from when you go into the situation ready to bend and compromise. Both I and everyone on my kidlets’ team, from therapist to NP to teachers, we’ve all been at this with my boys for a few years now, and any successes we’ve had have come from being willing to compromise and not getting so caught up in legalities, rules, and such… It seems like then it would be easy to lose sight of doing what’s best for the child, and become more about who’s winning. But that’s just my opinion. And it’s hard to find that perfectly magical mixture of people and circumstance that allow for that.

That all being said, lol, specifically about field trips- I’ve been asked to go on them for the same reasons that you stated. Personally, I hate chaperoning field trips (I know, it’s great for other people). But I went. I know I could’ve raised an issue about it, but it just didn’t feel like it was what would help my boys at that particular time. And it goes back to the compromising thing I mentioned earlier- I know that my sons’ school has done the same on their end. And to show for it, we’ve got two boys who know that their mom and teachers (and everyone else) loves them, and they’re making progress. All I can ask for.

I hope I haven’t rambled on too long, I never comment on these (it’s my first time), but I hope my experience has helped you in some way. In the end, whatever decision you choose to make, you can be sure that we’re all here, standing with you, ready to support you. We gotta stick together!!! 🤣