Reply To: Mom on the verge…I'm not alone, right?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Mom on the verge…I'm not alone, right? Reply To: Mom on the verge…I'm not alone, right?

Julia Christelle
Participant

This book and the available workbook have helped a number of families I know:

Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach Paperback – April, 1999
by Howard Glasser (Author), Jennifer Easley (Author). The workbooks can be useful for sharing with teachers if they are willing to learn about ways to reduce conflict and rages.

My own twins are adopted and have ADHD as on aspect of the Fetal Alcohol Spectrum (FASD or Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder). FASD can also have symptoms that overlap with autism, but it is organic damage to the brain caused by prenatal exposure to alcohol.

I subscribe to ADDitude because I find that there are a number of learning and behavioral issues the overlap between FASD and ADHD. And since I read some of the discussions here and also belong to parent discussion groups about raising kids with FASD and parenting teens and young adults with FASD, I see so many emotional and learning issues in common.

I urge any mother who drank even a little bit during her pregnancy – even before she knew that she was pregnant to consider testing for FASD (at a certified clinic) in addition to seeking advice and treatment for ADHD. If there is any chance that your child has this comorbidty, if for no other reason than the fact that having a correct diagnosis opens the door to many more resources including services and special accommodations at school.