Reply To: What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen? Reply To: What to do if undiagnosed and suspecting, but your family won’t listen?

Peregrine
Participant

Oribitt,

Even without a formal diagnosis, and even without any kind of support, there are things you can start doing now to help cope with your ADHD brain. Even if you don’t have ADHD they will benefit you.

The best things you can do to normalize are: Get Good Sleep, Maintain a Healthy Diet (Avoid sugar like the plague), Exercise Periodically, Get Organized (how is highly personalized). Those are smart things for anyone to do, but if you have ADHD and you want to be successful, they are essential.

Develop habits, and stick to them. You need to learn how to be neat, how to clean, how to cook, how to do the dishes. I’ll be the first to admit, it is literally painful for me to stop whatever I’m doing to do any one of those 4 chores, but they still have to get done.

ADHD isn’t really a disease, and there’s no cure for it. It’s apparently genetic, like red hair? We just cope with a brain that loves to shove us down rabbit holes. Medication kind of helps with this, sometimes. But really a healthy lifestyle is vastly more important. Your mom may be wrong about you not being ADHD, but she’s not really wrong about the other stuff. If you have ADHD and you’re trying as hard as normal people, then you probably aren’t trying hard enough. If a neurotypical person solves a problem with a straight progression from A to B an ADHD person gets distracted 5 times, forgets what they were doing twice and eventually finds the answer.

I went to school for physics, got A’s, then B’s, Then C’s and D’s then a couple E’s, then I was like “I’m not good at this… how do I get a job with this degree”. Now I’m an engineer, I learned a lot when I was getting those E’s and now I use that in everyday work stuff.

Anywho, don’t worry too much. As long as you’re not hurting people, there’s not much in life you can’t come back from. Also, the desire to be better is the first step the rest is just figuring out how.

That’s all folks.