Reply To: My ADD high school graduate can she survive college?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums How to Use the ADDitude Forums My ADD high school graduate can she survive college? Reply To: My ADD high school graduate can she survive college?

lakeriewilliams
Participant

I want so badly to respond in a greater depth to this email than I can at the moment-as I’m traveling with my husband & children for the Memorial Day weekend today, and we are almost at our destination. However, no disrespect or shade intended, but for the author of the post and other women who’ve responded, do you also have ADHD?

I only ask because I am a woman who has it. In fact, I not only have it but am involved in a support group full of women all around the works who have it as well. While all the items discussed are important to worry about, I just wonder if the people responding or asking have first hand knowledge nor just solely about raising a child with ADHD, but more so how to navigate life regardless.

I have 3 college degrees, and my third degree is a professional degree (Juris Doctor), and I’m aware of others who carry PhDs, MDs, DDS, etc. in fact there isn’t a post graduate degree or field where you will find a shortage of us ADHD folk in. Also, it’s doable-really really doable. There is support out there-even with groups such as ADDA, which allow free membership to our fellow ADHDers who happen to be college students

I can go into my experience, and will at another time if necessary or requested,but let me highlight something I know first hand on the other side of the education piece. About 4 years ago I was a adjunct professor at a tier 1 university in the western part of the United States. While there, I also was the supervisor of Admissions & Records, faculty advisor to several student clubs and organization, Sitting member of the scholarship appeals committee and a host of other things. The class I taught was in the Core Humanities department. It was a Core Curriculum writing course that all undergraduates has to take and pass, regardless of their major, to receive their BA or BS degree. From my experience, my students with ADHD, Autism, and other situations were more than capable AND SUCCESSFUL in their collegiate careers and in my class. My students LOVED ME (always had waiting list and people waiting til the next semester to take my class) and while others may see ADHD as a barrier or issue to do well on higher education action, it truly can be a tool that is utilized to achieve higher than others.

Grant it, there are always exceptions to every rule, but if your daughter is motivated, determined and truly has a passion for higher education (and everyone does not, inclusive of the many neurotypical students that enroll into college every year) although your concerns are understandable (as a parent you care for your kids-I can relate as I’m a mother of 4, 1 of my children has autism and 1 of my other children have ADHD too) please don’t allow that to place limits on what she can do or how she will do. You e raised her the best way you k o how and trust that. The symptoms she has because of ADHD an be managed, assisted, and by the letter of the law, with the full support of the AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY ACT (if she is a US citizen, can’t spwak for other countries) she absolutely has access to accommodations to allow the playing field to be evened our for her. So thank you for reaching out on this post, I’m so grateful! But please, never place limitations or your fears on her success! She should go to college, whether it’s a 2 yr, 4yr or even a combination duel program (and yes it’s forseeable and doable-I have ADHD of the combined type and my educational background and experience bears witness that anything is possible) she needs to know and understand that the sky is the limit. And more importantly, she should know and understand that you fully support and are encouraging of her desire to pursue her higher education. Also, most students (neurotypical young people inclusive) have no idea what they want to do when first going to college. The fact that she is anxious or concerned is normal-she wants to do well and be great-so let her! I know money is an issue for many-but don’t assume investing in her education is anything less than a worthy investment. My email islakeriewilliams@hotmail.com Please feel free to contact me if you want to discuss further. I also mentor students-I’d love to connect with your daughter. She needs to know there are a lot of us out here willing to ride this thing with her!