Reply To: Is it possible to have ADHD if neither of your parents have it?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Is it possible to have ADHD if neither of your parents have it? Reply To: Is it possible to have ADHD if neither of your parents have it?

bbarnett115
Participant

I would think so. I was just diagnosed a few months ago and I’m almost 30 years old and to my knowledge no one in my family has been diagnosed, either. I don’t think it’s a very uncommon situation. My generation was the first generation to really get diagnosed with ADHD, and that was mostly boys. Women are more likely to be diagnosed as adults because they find out that their child has it. Also, women are often misdiagnosed with a mental or emotional disorder instead of ADHD, so if you have any female family members who struggle with something like bi-polarism, she might be misdiagnosed and actually have ADHD.

So, there are tons of reasons why your or no one in your family has been diagnosed formally. It doesn’t mean you don’t have it.

Also, something that I read gave me the feeling that ADHD can be genetic but doesn’t have to be.