Reply To: HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough? Reply To: HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough?

SkinOfMyTeeth
Participant

He could never do the military unfortunately. The physical part of it would kill him. He has scoliosis, chronic joint pain, asthma and connective tissue disease which causes the pain as well as severe skin sensitivity (he went on a field trip in 8th grade to Washington DC- he came home with 2nd degree burns from the sun).

The requirements for PE are a state education requirement. If he does not complete the requirements, that is fine and we will re-develop a plan for next year after this year is complete.

I get that PE is a requirement.

What must also be true is that a child with “scoliosis, chronic joint pain, asthma and connective tissue disease” can be excused from PE. You only mentioned that he was failing PE, no other courses. Won’t his doctor get him out of PE?

I’ve read all your posts and am 99.9% sure it’s PE that’s causing his school refusal.

Of course, I could be wrong, but sometimes it takes a view from afar to see the details. This is going back a ways but, when I was in school a doctor’s note that a student wasn’t physically able to participate would waive the PE requirement.

If it is just the PE class, he’ll fail it next year as well. I’m running down the list of activities we did in PE and can’t see how any of them from track and field to wrestling could even be attempted let alone successfully done by a student with all those physical problems.

I gotta tell you, I’m on your son’s side with this one versus the school. PE would be a living hell and I wouldn’t go either. Most likely he just can’t or is too embarrassed to state it that way.

You are, unfortunately, stuck in the middle with the school making ridiculous demands to hold his tech (as if you can’t be trusted to not given in and give them to him) and your son not communicating exactly what the problem is.

Something tells me money is at the root of the school’s stubborn stance. I don’t know, but would bet they’ll lose funding if he gets excused from PE or finishes his diploma remotely.