Reply To: Pets for kids with ADHD and ODD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Pets for kids with ADHD and ODD Reply To: Pets for kids with ADHD and ODD

jenifufu
Participant

Hi there – we have a 16 year old son with ADHD, Asperger’s, Anxiety, ODD, Pervasive Development Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder. When he was 7 years old, and our 2nd son was 6 months old, we bought a Mini Schnauzer puppy for his birthday. They grow to be about 15-20 inches tall, 15-20 lbs in weight. They don’t shed, are hypo-allergenic (3 of us have allergies and asthma) and very intelligent. We are very happy with this breed. He has a very good, calm temperament. He’s not too big. My son could lift him up.

We actually found that this dog helped with my son’s Aspergers – this is a Socialization Disorder where children don’t understand social cues and/or behaviour in public or private. The dog would growl if my son did something that made the dog uncomfortable (ie: squeeze him too hard or cover him with his body or blankets, etc). My son was able to learn from this dog that people also have social cues, that aren’t growling. We couldn’t believe it – but we would swear by this breed.

In addition, dogs need lots of exercise so if your child is quite hyper then a dog might be a good choice. Mini Schnauzers definitely LOVE to run. Do some research on the breed and ask around to see if you know anyone with a similar situation.