Reply To: HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough? Reply To: HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough?

Penny Williams
Keymaster

“Feeling the consequences” will not change the physiology of his brain. They don’t seem to understand that ADHD is a physical difference in the brain and not a character flaw. This crap gets me so angry. (I deal with the same ignorance for my son.)

Why in the world is the school holding his electronics? Are they school issued? If your family owns them they have ZERO right to have them or control them. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I have no words…

Yes, taking away the things he actually gets enjoyment out of in life will only make him give up trying at all. And if it hasn’t changed the school behavior it isn’t going to (it never would have). There’s an issue (or many) that are not being addressed and so his brain has chosen flight and freeze.

This school is obviously very toxic for him. If it’s a public school, I’d be filing a discrimination claim with the US Office of Civil Rights right now.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism