Reply To: The hours I squander…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults The hours I squander… Reply To: The hours I squander…

hamdog
Participant

This is so much the way I am on the weekends, and in the evenings, although I will get up early to go swim on Sat. a.m. I don’t accomplish much after that, though. And, unlike the rest of you, I am no longer as productive at work as I once was; this is bad when one works in a law office where billable hours (or lack thereof) can determine one’s pay raise. Sometimes, it’s all I can do to accomplish getting my laundry done and dishes washed.

I’m 62 and I’ve only recently talked to my family practitioner about the possibility of my having ADD, showed him my results of taking the self-test that I found on this site, and he ended up prescribing Vyvanse for me to take–one capsule a day. It does help with my mood and energizes me, but I’m not sure it has helped equally as much with my ability to stay on task (I’m typing this message right now while I should be working!). I’ve attributed it to being burned out with my job, but I’m not sure that’s all it is. I’ve been a procrastinator as far back as I can recall, and suffered through bouts of depression more recently. Trying to make decisions can be paralyzing at times.

My house and basement are so cluttered and so full of stuff that it’s overwhelming and I don’t know where to begin in weeding out … so I don’t. I can’t even seem to break the task down into smaller, manageable chunks. This lack of motivation to do much of anything productive has only gotten worse the older I’ve gotten.

I took heart in reading that I am not the only one who has experienced these difficulties.