Reply To: HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough? Reply To: HS son still refusing school-when do I say enough is enough?

dmu1970
Participant

Hello- so to answer some of the questions asked –

Yes he can complete his diploma from home – we have offered that to him. Although school doesn’t want to see that happen
When he comes home from school he is miserable and doesn’t want to leave his room. He gets absolutely no enjoyment out of school- especially this year.

He is happier at home and calls himself a homebody. He doesn’t like sports or any clubs. He has friends thankfully so that’s good.

He could never do the military unfortunately. The physical part of it would kill him. He has scoliosis, chronic joint pain, asthma and connective tissue disease which causes the pain as well as severe skin sensitivity (he went on a field trip in 8th grade to Washington DC- he came home with 2nd degree burns from the sun).

Penny – I sent the link to article Why School stress is devastating to our children to his guidance counselor, social worker and director of special education. We had a meeting few days after that and it didn’t seem to sink in with them. They basically advised me to let them handle him- that he has to feel the consequences of his actions in order to see any change.
Meanwhile He refuses to go to school today – first time since he lost his electronics for those 10 days last month. So clearly that didn’t work….RIGHT??!!

So I get email from school today telling me to drop his electronics off tomorrow am at school for another 10 days. Yet my son told me if we took them away again it would only make him more depressed. He told me today he feels like no one ever really listens to him and I thought to myself yeah that’s how I feel about his school not listening to me!! Ugghhh !!