Reply To: How to help a kid with ADHD when my own ADHD gets in the way

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning How to help a kid with ADHD when my own ADHD gets in the way Reply To: How to help a kid with ADHD when my own ADHD gets in the way

sssscs
Participant

I wish I could help. i am in the same boat with my daughter. I was a high achiever, but definitely high ADD also, not getting close to my potential but just basically making good grades without trying that much in high school and then college was hard but I made it, cramming all night right before the exams. All I feel like I do is push push push my daughter. We just spent over an hour studying vocabulary words, about half of which was her whining. She cares but she feels defeated, and I can tell things are more difficult academically for her than they were for me. She just feels as if she is not good, and has a bad memory and just said, “I can’t” several times. She’s made some pretty bad grades on these tests for vocabulary also. My husband thinks we should just leave her alone and let her fail and then I think he believes she will step it up herself then after falling on her face. I am not sure in this situation with the ADD. I don’t know what to do or how to tell her to study except to use flash cards, but she’s been trying those. The test is always tricky according to her. She’s in 6th grade.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by sssscs.