Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition. Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

Nikiispicky
Participant

It takes a while and some experience to get comfortable driving.
I only found that I have ADHD at 24. I have been driving since I was 16. I wanted to learn as soon as I could though.
There are some studies that do say when a person has ADHD they should be medicated when driving/learning to drive.I can understand your concern in regards to attention and driving.

As for getting them to understand. You likely will not, not really at least. Research the condition, pass along articles, interviews and anything else you can find, there is a tone out there.

To me their comments while familiar, they sound logical. I know with my experience in the last five months from the day I got diagnosed. Our emotions can cloud our views, at the very least mine, when it comes to comments that would normally be taken as a reminder to stay grounded; that you are not your diagnosis, that everyone makes mistakes, that no one knows your brain better than you, even when it feels as though you do not know it at all.

If they will not make the choice to get educated in any way on the disorder. I go with acknowledging the persons opinion, I then move along, brushing it off. It works for me, I do choose to review the opinion later when my emotions are lesser. I do this to gain insight to myself and the other person. If all else fails I do not need that negative in my life.
What works for me might not work for another.
Keep us posted?