Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition. Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

SkinOfMyTeeth
Participant

Hey @DCT2019,

Welcome.

I’ve always noticed that family seems to think they have a licence to comment on things that anyone else would never dare. I’ve gotten, “You’re getting fat”, “Why are you wearing that?”, “When are you going to get married?”, “Your hair is going grey”. Seriously, there is something about family that just seems to make them say things they’d never even think of saying to a non-family member.

I’ve even had family tell me to be stop talking when I was just having a conversation with someone and there wasn’t anything else going on.

So, the point here is simple. Take family for what they are. You can choose your friends, you can decide where to go to college and where to work. But, you can’t pick your family.

Regarding driving – you know what’s safe. You don’t have to explain it to anyone. If you want explain you don’t drive because of your ADHD, do so. If you just want to tell them your doctor told you not to drive, do that.