Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition. Reply To: My brother and father are being insensitive towards my condition.

ADDme
Participant

People who have not been around ADHD much don’t really “get it.” That’s why it’s called a hidden disability. I have a friend w a neurological clumsiness, including a “scissors ” gait and balance problems; people are constantly trying to coach her to “do better,” telling her she “needs to practice,” even though she will never be much better, no matter how much she practices. Similarly, when I learned how helpful a list can be — it seemed like magic! — a high EF friend looked at me w some disdain and said, “Of course!” (I need a list of steps to tidy my messy rooms.) Even teachers, who should know better, can be totally on the wrong wave length w their students w ADHD. I gave up trying to get friends and family to understand. My family thinks I am wallowing. Oddly enough, My truly good friends weren’t surprised at my diagnosis.

There’s no reason you can’t learn to be a good driver. Kudos for recognizing how ADHD can interfere w that. And for ANY student driver, a large, empty parking lot is an excellent place to practice!

Good luck.