Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Organizing Your Child How to help my son focus and complete work in school Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

Marrimem
Participant

I wasn’t diagnosed until I was in 6 grade with ADD. I can tell you that regardless I would have a hard time if that hadn’t happened until 9th grade. Though 3 sentences might seem like it should be a snap, it’s possible he doesn’t have a clue in his head what to write especially if assigned a topic by the teacher. I my trap for a brain would have been blank unless guided a little more with some leading questions or more of an idea on the topic. Then maybe I might have have s tiny bit of a chance.

Discouragement and anger or other feelings can be a big part of the why for not doing and hard time regulating emotions.

I remember hiding papers out of humiliation for not completing work and the punishment I would recieve from incompletion. Once I got a spanking daily for serval weeks for it. I wa very sensitive and sensitive to hurting physically and emotionally. My parents realized there had to be some other problem.

Also you your is going to be developmentally behind of a few years. Think 6 or 7 year old instead of a 9 year old.

Just some possible perspectives.