Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Organizing Your Child How to help my son focus and complete work in school Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

jewlers04
Participant

Let me begin by saying that I am a teacher. As a teacher, I have attended many workshops “instructing” me about ADHD: how it affects students, how it manifests, and how to deal with it in the classroom. But until I met and married my spouse (who has ADHD), I did not truly understand what it was really like.

I agree with everyone above – if there is a consequence at school, there should be no further consequence at home. If the teacher wants you to give a consequence at home (which I don’t agree with, but for the sake of argument), then he should not give any consequences at school. That being said, ADHD is not a choice, so it shouldn’t be punished regardless. If he doesn’t (or can’t) write his journal sentences at journal sentence writing time, perhaps there are other times more conducive to his writing. If it’s the topic that’s the problem, let him write about something he’s passionate about (like video games, for example, or a dream trip or job or whatever).

I do think it would be beneficial for the teacher to further educate himself about ADHD and how it works; ultimately, spending (significant amounts of) quality time with someone with ADHD would be the most eye-opening. Learning how to help those with ADHD is like learning how to put car engines together: all the reading and educating in the world isn’t going to be the same as diving in and experiencing it.

I wish you all the best!