Reply To: Emotional Distance

Nope, not awful at all….little by little, over time, I have to keep striving to decide if I am parenting the child or parenting the ADHD….if it’s the ADHD, I have to remind myself that while some ‘strategies’ aren’t necessarily about ‘nurturing’…but rather about providing a clear expectation, about staying focused and consistent yourself (rather than just saying ‘do whatever you want’ in the face of yet another meltdown, or seeing them start to struggle and just wanting to hug them) in parenting the ADHD sometimes, you are doing them a favor….providing different strategies to deal with it, that they likely will carry with them into adulthood….these are two very different approaches….and I am not always successful. I am a single dad raising two children with the diagnosis…one is hyperactive, one hyperfocused….it can be a constant changing of gears’ some days….and it’s frustrating….but with practice it gets easier to decide whether to parent the child or the ADHD in a given situation…..good luck!