Reply To: Emotional Distance

brigitte.flinn
Participant

You are not wrong and you are NOT alone in having to deal with these situations. Until I read your post, I thought I was the only one having to deal with these emotional outbursts/explosions with my 13 year old son. I was beginning to think that there must be something terribly wrong with him, or with how I am parenting him, if he can have such hateful words come out of his mouth for no apparent reason. Reading your post and hearing the support from other parents dealing with similar situations has put a new light on my situation. I have to remember that when he is in his blow up that I need to control my reactions in order to subdue his. I need to remember that the hatefulness is not the true side of my son and that it is only temporary. I have found that his explosions are more frequent during growth spurts and his psychiatrist confirmed that it is highly possible since hormones are going crazy at this age. Hang in there!! We will survive this and our boys will be amazing in this world.