Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Organizing Your Child How to help my son focus and complete work in school Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

mahala
Participant

I don’t think it is appropriate you give your son consequences / punishment at home, for things the teacher feels he should be punished for.
I would have a discussion with the teacher about what consequences she can implement in the classroom (without removing recess or destressing activities).
Perhaps the “3 sentences in a journal” is an unrealistic expectation for you son, maybe she could look at starting out with one and building up to three, rather than punishing him for non-compliance. After all, he is an individual, perhaps he finds it boring or tedious. She obviously has not tapped into who he is or what his likes are, then he may be more interested in writing sentences.
Even asking him to write the sentence on what he is day-dreaming aobut would be helpful, obviously that is where he would rather be!