Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Organizing Your Child How to help my son focus and complete work in school Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

jhasselt
Participant

Sometimes the topic is from the teacher and sometimes he can pick, I’m assuming when the teacher assigns a topic that is when he struggles. I’m not trying to chastise him, however with ODD, I need him (and I) to understand sometimes you will have natural consequences to not doing your work. At this point, failing a class doesn’t matter to him, so I feel that I need to find something that does… Prior to posting this topic, I asked him to write about why he didn’t do journal. I feel like it opened my eyes to his struggles, and opened the door to the conversation with his teacher. We keep working on it. I never liked school either, I daydreamed a lot. I get where he is coming from, I know it will click one day. Parenting it is a different story… He is the kind of kid who hides homework in the car, purposely leaves it at school, etc. but he also sometimes just forgets… It’s a fine line with him.

I just keep learning. At this point, when he doesn’t do journal during class, I will ask him to write at home. See how long that might work…