Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Organizing Your Child How to help my son focus and complete work in school Reply To: How to help my son focus and complete work in school

Penny Williams
Keymaster

First, he should not be punished twice for one infraction. If he loses a point for not doing the journal entry, that’s the consequence. It’s already bad enough that he’s struggling and being punished for issues related to a disability, so don’t double punish by adding an at-home consequence.

Second, there are many things that can help with focus at school: medication, sitting in a less distracting area of the classroom, using a study carrel to block visual distractions, using headphones to block audio distractions, etc.

Third, there are alternatives to writing. My son has dysgraphia, so he types a lot of his work. There’s also voice dictation, which is now a free part of Google Docs. Ask the teacher what the intended lesson/take-away is for the daily journal assignment. Then, think of creative ways to meet that goal without writing (unless it’s writing practice, of course).

Here are more ideas:

11 Focus Fixes for the Classroom: A Free Handout for Teachers

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism