Reply To: 28 M Corporate Attorney – Just Diagnosed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults 28 M Corporate Attorney – Just Diagnosed Reply To: 28 M Corporate Attorney – Just Diagnosed

Resilient2Day
Participant

Good morning Truthsquire2017,

First let me congratulate you on achieving such a huge milestone becoming an Attorney. That is no easy feat to conquer so at the very least you should be very proud of yourself. Typos and other little errors were just that, errors.

When I was a child, my mom would always tell me that I could never follow through on anything, but she never told me how to acquire the skills to stay consistent. She said it so much that it became a part of my psyche. I could never figure out why I did some “weird” things, why I could not stay focused for too long, why I could not comprehend things and be teased about it, etc. I am a 52 year old single mom who suspected she was suffering from ADHD last spring, but wasn’t diagnosed until last October. Once the medicine kicked in and then tweaked, the world stopped spinning so fast. Now my guilt came in with I wish I had known what was really wrong at least 15 years ago because perhaps then I would be in a career instead of obtaining my undergraduate degree in 2014 and am in grad school now. I get angry with myself because I feel I could have done so much more with my life, BUT then I realized that I am where I am supposed to be in this moment. I have gone through some serious trials in the past 11 years all to bring me to this moment where I love myself so much more than I have in the past and accept myself too.

The problem that I have is my direct reports know that I have ADHD and have difficulty staying on task but they don’t care. They are writing me up because of my inability to be sustainable in my role (clerical). The most frustrating part is that I know I’m capable. I know as do they that I am progressing, but it’s not up to their speed.

Your story is great but I agree with MattColo…love yourself. Yes we want to consistently prove people wrong. Prove to them that we are not lazy, crazy or stupid and are quite capable of doing our jobs and living life successfully, but at the end of the day, who’s opinion matters most?

Love and like yourself because there’s only one of you and your unique. You have a story to tell for those aspiring to reach their milestone.