Reply To: My 6 year old son may have ODD or..

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline My 6 year old son may have ODD or.. Reply To: My 6 year old son may have ODD or..

Whatif
Participant

Please do not rule out that your child may be suffering from the Methyl-B Gene Mutation (MTHFR). Some of the symptoms you noted mirror what I had on bad days (and I’m an adult!). A simple blood or saliva (DNA) test will determine if your son has the gene mutation. Most important — it is treatable, and usually without drugs!
I’m not a doctor, and I’m not selling anything. In layman’s terms, those of us with a MTHFR gene mutation have a highly reduced ability to convert folic acid or even folate into a usable form. This in turn can reduce serotonin and dopamine levels, which can cause depression. (We have to be careful with B Vitamins.) ALSO…Several symptoms resulting from the mutation mirror other medical and mental issues such as ADD, ADHD, OCD, anxiety, depression, autism, etc. It can lay dormant and trauma, diet or stress can bring it on. I started doing as much research as I could online. A great resource I found online is Dr. Ben Lynch who states: “…I believe the MTHFR gene mutation is a highly significant public health problem that is completely ignored. Yet, millions are suffering from pulmonary embolisms, addictions, fibromyalgia, miscarriages, schizophrenia, severe depression, cancer and autism to name a few…:
A contributing factor is that nearly all food we eat is pre-packaged ‘enriched’, meaning all the original vitamins and minerals have been stripped in the processing. The food industry enriches the food, usually with synthetic substitutes because they are cheaper (there is usually folic acid in every pre-packaged food item). Our bodies are not programmed to metabolize or digest these ‘synthetic’ ingredients well and we are starting to see more and more people develop this mutation. This mutation, gone unchecked, which can cause rages and depression in young children as well as adults, needs to be addressed. Society has accepted as “the norm” to not question physicians who immediately want to prescribe addictive drugs to children based on a few symptoms, rather than looking at the whole body and how genetics, diet and stress can be the culprit.
We did not have the issue with so many children being diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, ODD, (insert the DD). Current affairs are adding additional stresses we didn’t have. Additionally, more studies are showing the connection with depression and too much social media and online gaming our kids are involved with. Our kids are being bombarded with daily stressors and their diets are full of chemicals and additives. This is changing their/our genetics, and we need to become more pro-active with our children’s health. If I get just 20% or more synthetic folic acid in a serving, I can experience rage and depression for days afterward. Did you know there is 50% folic acid just one serving of Cheerios?! Some “healthy” cereals have 100% folic acid! Imagine if your child has this mutation. No wonder they are raging. Look at the ingredients of nearly every pre-packaged food. If there is a list of vitamins and minerals, particularly folic acid, you are being served mainly synthetics, because it is cheaper. (Convenience is putting us in “dis ease”.)
I work with a local naturopathic doctor to manage my MTHFR without drugs. However, Doctor Ben Lynch (who also has the MTHFR) was my go to resource (mthfr.net) when I first started researching this issue, and I have personally chosen to be an advocate for him to get the word out to as many individuals as I can about the MTHFR Mutation. Another great resource: http://www.gutfulofadhd.com/adhd-genes-mthfr/
You owe it to your child to not just accept the norm of being diagnosed with some sort of “DD” and prescribed (addictive) prescription drugs. Trust me, your child is begging for a better answer. And if it’s not the MTHFR, then at least you know it for a fact, and you also know that you are doing EVERYTHING you can to help your child.
I provide this for information purposes only – my PSA! Best to you and your son. (Pl let me know you received this. You don’t have to comment. Thank you.)