Reply To: I know I have a brain … but where is it?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults I know I have a brain … but where is it? Reply To: I know I have a brain … but where is it?

melhavoc
Participant

Hi Livingw/AdHd… I’m not sure if this is encouraging or the opposite, but I didn’t find a career till I was in my mid-30s (I finished my second degree in my mid-20s). I think North American places too much emphasis on the end goals and forgets that all of life is a journey. Although there are advantages to starting a career early (more experience usually means more advancement, and depending on the type of work, having the energy and recovery of a more youthful body in the starting years can help), life experience also has value. If you apply yourself in any job you have, even if it’s just temporary and not at all in your field, you can earn a good reputation, are making connections and are bound to learn transferable skills (time/task management, people skills, problem solving…). It may even give you a fresh perspective when you do find your career that someone fresh out of school may not have. So don’t be too hard on yourself if your career path doesn’t look exactly (or not at all) like what you envisioned… Life has a funny way of working itself out. 🙂 (And never underestimate the power of networking. My career got launched through a friend, and I got my last 3 jobs through connections.) As for the memory/ brain issues, the other participants all gave really good tips. If you are on meds for ADHD or other mental conditions, they could be causing your symptoms (I’m still trying to find the right ones… my working memory seems to have gone down the drain since I started). So if that’s the case, you should discuss it with your health care provider or prescriber. If you aren’t taking ADHD meds, it might be worth a try… If ADHD is making it hard to focus, it might feel like your mind going blank when you momentarily get distracted… or it might be getting overwhelmed by to much external stimulus. So to end this little rant (haha), take things one step at a time, get some help if you think it might be beneficial, and know that you’re not alone in your struggles.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by melhavoc.
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by melhavoc.