Reply To: I know I have a brain … but where is it?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults I know I have a brain … but where is it? Reply To: I know I have a brain … but where is it?

Calibizaro
Participant

Hey there,

I was you about 10 years ago, until I learned that except for some very specific technical fields, your degree mainly proves that you are “trainable”. Employers more or less expect to have to train you what you need to know with them and how they want it done. A college degree earns you a number of other less obvious skills: timeliness, writing skills (this is a big one), and task management (you had to juggle assignments from multiple subjects after all!), and many other things.

My advice is, look for something relatively entry-level where independent work isn’t a really big part of the job… independent and lightly monitored type jobs may need to be more gradually transitioned into until you feel more confident about doing it. I tried to push too hard too fast and I ended up with an anxiety disorder for awhile. I don’t say that to frighten you, only to caution you to not bite off more than you can chew right away… grow into it instead and you’ll wonder why you were nervous about it in the first place.

Good luck!

Candy