Reply To: 13yo son = household chaos

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults 13yo son = household chaos Reply To: 13yo son = household chaos

jcurry
Participant

Hello~ I would like to suggest checking out a book called “Smart but Scattered Teens” by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare. There is also an edition focusing on children. There are questionnaires in the book for parents and teens/kids. These determine a person’s Executive Functioning Skills strengths and weaknesses. They give suggestions on how to improve the weaknesses. Google Executive Functioning Skills if you are not familiar with these. I have a son with ADHD (age 13, Dx formally in 1st grade) and am also a K-8th grade school counselor. I have attended a workshop done by the author Peg Dawson. It is one of the best I have been to in my 23 years of being a school counselor. I highly recommend it. Sheepishly, I have to say I have yet to do it with my own son. Might help with the same issues many of you are dealing with! I use it with my students…I think when I consider doing it with my son, it feels very overwhelming, and I kind of expect him to fight me on it, as he fights me on most things. Nonetheless, I believe it is valuable information. I encourage parents to look into this.