Reply To: Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now? Reply To: Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now?

fire_moons
Participant

First, I just want to say thank you all for all of your supportive words. I was really hesitant to post in the forum because a part of me thought I’d just get a slew of hate with a side of millennial bashing, but I’m really glad that wasn’t the case. I just want to clarify, because I wrote this post at about 2 or 3 in the morning where I am, when I say nothing I do will make my parents proud I am making a factual statement that I know I cannot change. I spent 20+ years chasing their approval and I’m done doing that, which is a really gutsy statement for any child of immigrants to make. Thank you guys for showing me that I’m not completely doomed. I’m still in the process of learning how my symptoms affect all aspects of my life, so I’m trying to take things one thing at a time and not overwhelm myself. I’m still not 100% sure where I want to go career-wise, and I don’t think going back to school is even a choice for me financially, but all I know is that as long as I can find something that has a good balance of sitting and standing (so not sitting all day or standing all day), doesn’t make me take work home with me (I am currently in the process of learning better time management skills and it’s a bit of an uphill battle, so extra work that I have to take home and do might suffer), doesn’t hurt people in any way, pays back my loans, and still gives me the time to pursue my creative hobbies, I’ll be content. I hope that’s not too much to wish for.

For any other young adults who have just been diagnosed and don’t know what to do or any parents of these young adults who want to help and be supportive, sometime between the time I made the initial post and now, I found a handful of programs (without overwhelming myself this time) that actually address the issues that I’m going through right now and they might be helpful to you too. One of the organizations I found is called New Directions For Young Adults that’s a residential facility where you learn to live on your own, you can take college classes near their 2 locations (Florida and California) or participate in job training, you’re assigned a therapist, and you participate in a support group with the other residents. The downside is that the locations could be far from you, and you have to contact them to find out the program fees. I think it would be too expensive for me, but everyone’s circumstances are different, so you have nothing to lose by just contacting them if you’re interested. If you live anywhere else, you can google “transitional programs for young adults” plus your location to see if there’s something closer to you that meets your needs. I also found a lot of stuff within my county’s department of human resources website through their Office of Behavioral Help. Each age group has their own page with resources for their developmental needs. This is a good small place to start, but available help will depend on each county. Another thing I found was this 18 page PDF with all the government, non-profit, and private facilities and organizations within my county that offer so many different services for people of all ages with disabilities and mental health issues. I found this through the health.gov website for my state, and I’m pretty sure you can find an equivalent PDF on your health.gov state website (or your country’s equivalent of health.gov if you’re not American) with similar resources near you. It might be too much information to take in at once, so go through the PDF in the way that works best for you, so you don’t overlook anything that could be potentially helpful.

My next appointment with my therapist is tomorrow, and I’m going to ask her if we can dedicate a future session to looking through all the stuff I found to see if there’s a local program that fits my needs and can act as a good supplement along with therapy and medication. This is the first time I’ve felt really hopeful in a long time.

Again, thank you to everyone who has responded so far. I may or may not have cried reading these because it’s one thing to read a WebMD article about what people with ADHD go through, but it’s something else seeing that another human being has been through some of the same stuff you’ve been through.