Reply To: Dating a Man with ADHD — my anxiety has spiked, seeking advice please.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Dating a Man with ADHD — my anxiety has spiked, seeking advice please. Reply To: Dating a Man with ADHD — my anxiety has spiked, seeking advice please.

Fennel
Participant

Pce42 sounds like we’re in a similar place I’ve been with my bf for about the same time as you, he was diagnosed with ADD aged 8 but his parents stopped treatment, they really don’t care, it’s all about how it affects them, he’s 2 months into a 10-12 months referral wait for adult ADHD services (Yorkshire, England), he only talked to the dr after I nagged him. The issues you describe with your bf are very very similar.

We’re both diagnosed with depression & anxiety and I have OCD tendencies my anxiety & ocd around his behaviour etc are as bad as they’ve ever been, I wonder every day if our relationship can work, my bf is almost completely unwilling to try and make any positive changes despite my constant efforts to help him, his family who I don’t like, I’ve really tried with them, have messed him up and only make things worse, his mother now acts like it’s all my fault he’s like this, your bf does sound like he’s trying more than mine but ultimately as has been said only you can make the decision, I wonder about childen too, I’m 36 so tick tick tick, neither of us currently work due to our mental health problems like you the main income is mine and that balance causes problems, we have so much in common and he can be great but if he won’t try anything to improve, he’ll never get better or get a job etc, I feel like I’m putting all my effort into helping him at the detriment to my own health.

The word the constantly comes to mind is frustrating

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Fennel.
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Penny Williams.