Reply To: Little patience with other drivers…other shoppers, etc.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Little patience with other drivers…other shoppers, etc. Reply To: Little patience with other drivers…other shoppers, etc.

ruth.sings
Participant

Yes, probably ADHD is a factor – I understand that a different perception of time is common to people with ADHD. I have very little awareness of the passage of time, no sense or feel for it. Sometimes I’m racing fast and sometimes (usually when I’m very tired) I’m way too slow. I’m aware of it thanks to the speedometer and the people riding my bumper and yeah, my brain is horrified at the slowness of my physical reactions. So I try to be considerate of others on the road (keeping to the right, pulling over to let people pass me on 2 lane roads).

One last thing – last week, a young father was stabbed and killed in a road-rage incident in our semi-rural county. When the person responsible is caught, no one will be convinced if he says “I have ADHD, I couldn’t help myself!”. The one thing that helps me most to keep a lid on my temper is to start my day early…with a good sleep the night before and enough headstart on my drive-time to not be in a hurry.