Reply To: ADHD meds and athletic performance

Latebloomer25
Participant

I was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) when I was 18 years old, freshmen in college. I played D3 college basketball at the time. Adderall negatively effected me as an athlete mostly because I let it. It’s a difficult transition from mental focus to physical performance, no matter how natural of an athlete he is (or i was). i’d say if it’s a big concern for you as a parent and for him as an athlete, get a plan together to help him really crack down on the book and find a natural way for him to focus. If he’s really struggling as a student, take him to the doctor to have him tested. This is just my experience – however, he is only 15 while i was 18 when i was diagnosed. Also, i’m a woman, there could be something there. However, if you and him decide to give medication a try, i have a few tips.

-MAKE SURE he is eating the same amount, if not more, than what he usually would eat. Especially after a workout. Protein shakes make help, especially if he is already drinking them.
-He should consume 1 gallon of water a day and that’s not including what he should consume during a workout
-Having nightly routine that will naturally wind his mind down from a fast paced day (dim room, stretching, melatonin helps, too)

Good luck to you and him!