Reply To: Treating side effects with OTHER meds? Help!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Treating side effects with OTHER meds? Help! Reply To: Treating side effects with OTHER meds? Help!

peaceout
Participant

My DD has high anxiety esp when taking stimulants. The only one that doesn’t cause terrible anxiety is short acting Ritalin at a VERY low dose (half the lowest dose!). We tried an SSRI but it made the ADHD worse and didn’t help the anxiety much. After a LONG journey, she is currently taking THREE ADHD meds: Strattera, guanfacine, and Ritalin, AND two supplements (PS-100 and l-theanine). This combo is the best we have tried so far. The Ritalin helps focus and impulsivity, the guanfacine helps hyperactivity and impulsivity, and the Strattera helps anxiety and impulsivity; the two supplements also seem to help overall moodiness and emotional lability. She can actually handle a “punishment” (actual punishments are rare but I’m talking about even a conversation about behavior) without excuses and lying (“It wasn’t me”, “I didn’t do it”, etc), lashing out, or extreme meltdowns, so this is super good.