Reply To: Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now? Reply To: Anyone Else Diagnosed After Graduating College & Not Know What To Do Now?

theglassheart69
Participant

First, let me confess. I should not be answering this. I am in my late 40s so this time in my life was a long time ago. I have never taken medication for my ADHD turned ADD (no one can see the hyper that continues in the brain, only the bodily slowness courtesy of other illness.)

That being said, I was the typical ADHD girl even though I was not diagnosed until hours after I completed university. es, I made the top quarter despite ADHD and dyslexia but, as you have discovered, those accomplishments came at a price. For me, I found my oh so vital internship, did my time and walked- no, ran, far away. I had not been able to have jobs while in school if I wanted parental financial assistance and I had just turned my back on my degree/career. Was I crazy? Well. I was headed that way.Truly.

I got a retail job. It was part-time evenings. Within 2 months it was full time supervisor. A year later, it was management. (My ADHD was even a benefit.) It was not in anyway related to my degree, but I was HAPPY. For the first time, I was happy. What a shock to realize.

You are not me. I do not know your answer, but it is out there. It may not be the one your parents want. I am sorry,but it cannot be about them. It has to be about you. It is your answer, your life, your happiness. I will pray for you. Don’t give up. Live for you.