Reply To: Any hyper girls out here? (Women with ADHD-combined)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Any hyper girls out here? (Women with ADHD-combined) Reply To: Any hyper girls out here? (Women with ADHD-combined)

Erica
Participant

Absolutely! I’ve been struggling to stay afloat for the last 2 years. You are not alone!

I presented signs of both subsets during very early childhood, but having involved parents/attending an extremely regimented private school combined with 18 years of playing soccer at an Olympic development level kept my symptoms virtually nonexistent.

I was officially diagnosed 2 years ago. I knew something was wrong when I changed work environments from an office setting to working from home, and all of a sudden I found myself completely out of control. I would hyper focus on work sometimes well into the middle of the night, not even realizing how much time has seemingly evaporated. I travel for work every week and I missed the majority of my flights for the first 6 months on the job. It still takes me roughly 3 hours to do expense reports others can finish (correctly, whereas mine get returned most times) in less than 30 mins.

I finally scheduled my first appointment with a psychologist and she diagnosed me almost instantly. To your hyperactivity question, 15 mins into the evaluation she asked “have you had any coffee today?”. I indicated to her that I stay far away from caffeine, so we discussed my shocking (yet enlightening!) diagnosis and she referred me to a psychiatrist to explore my care options.