Reply To: Managing High Stress/Organized Kid Activities with ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Managing High Stress/Organized Kid Activities with ADHD Reply To: Managing High Stress/Organized Kid Activities with ADHD

mg mom
Participant

I think that above tip is very useful and could probably help out many. My advice to you is to forgive yourself and to stop thinking that this is your responsibility to remember your daughter’s gear. She is 13 years old and old enough to stop blaming you for her failure to pack her stuff. You are not on the dance team – she is and if she wants to compete, she should make sure she has her stuff. I think all too many parents try to over compensate for their kids. Kids need to learn that if they want to do activities they need to be responsible for being prepared to participate. Perhaps I am old school but kids need to learn responsibility – they certainly won’t have Mom to always be running their day to day life in a few short years. Give them tools, guidance and let them try. Better now when the stakes are lower than when they get to college. They will surprise you if you let them fly.