Reply To: Managing High Stress/Organized Kid Activities with ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Managing High Stress/Organized Kid Activities with ADHD Reply To: Managing High Stress/Organized Kid Activities with ADHD

kristine.winnik
Participant

My 15 year old daughter is a competitive dancer. She doesn’t have ADHD, and neither do I; I read the forum for my 12 year old son. It is definitely a rigorous and sometimes stressful commitment, and I find making lists, notes in Excel spreadsheets and keeping a calendar is helpful (we use Cozi app, and love it). Another example is that our dance director makes a list of all the pieces and accessories for each costume, and we print it, cut it out, and tape it to the plastic hanger cover for that costume. Also, I don’t know where you live, but I will say that dynamics from one dance school to another do vary considerably. We are at her third school over her 13 year dance career. One was incredibly disorganized and communication was scant or confusing. The second had terrible communication AND cliquey, mean and unsupportive management and dance parents. We have finally found a school we both love and are so thrilled. So, maybe it’s time to look for a school that better suits your needs!