Reply To: Relationships and Emotional Articulation

amb1974
Participant

I’m going through the very same thing right now with someone I’d been dating (also, a big age difference with him being the younger of us), so I deeply empathize with what you’re saying. My emotions are overwhelming at times, and I have difficulty keeping them in check. I sometimes come off as a little too needy or aggressive, and that always scares men off. I honestly don’t blame them. If a guy does that to me, I run for the hills, but hey… double standards. What’s really aggravating about these habits is that they tend to disappear once I’ve “conquered” the love interest. I pursue them fairly intently, but once I’ve “captured the prize,” I get bored. I don’t think this is quite what you’ve experienced, but it does result from having such strong emotions that I can’t control them as they’re happening. It’s only after they’ve passed that I feel the gravity of what I’ve done. I do think medication helps, but the side effects (at least for me) just aren’t worth it. I’d rather feel everything than nothing at all. I wish I had some advice for you, but I’m right there with you, and have yet to find out how best to deal with it.