Reply To: Feeling lost

corinamrd
Participant

Totally understand where you are at! I was diagnosed this past fall – at 47 years old! I was in the same boat as you – not knowing where to go or what to do. My husband and I were seeing a marriage therapist and one of the recurring themes was I didn’t have time for my husband, my to do list was never-ending and I rarely took time to sit and relax. The therapist said to me “Do you think you might have ADHD?” I responded no, but then started learning about it. I made an appointment with my GP who stated me on medication but didn’t give me any additional direction either. I am a voracious learner so I found some helpful books. I don’t do well with traditional print books – I’m an audio book reader. I have read the following books: The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps by Melissa Orlov. You Men I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy by Kate Kelly, Delivered from Distraction by Ed Hallowwell. I also really enjoy podcasts – Faster than Normal is amazing.

I found a local ADHD support group and attended a few times – asking for additional help and learning about other people’s struggles. People at the support group suggested a local nurse practitioner who specializes in ADHD (and has ADHD herself). This helped tremendously because she was able to try a few different medicines and followed up with me weekly until we figured out the right one for me (currently on Mydayis ER 50mg). Taking a medication every 4-6 hours was not something I could remember to do, so the extended release has been helpful.

I continue to struggle, so I took the jump and started to work with an ADHD coach. She has been helping me deal with specific issues and ensuring I have the right systems in place. I still have a long way to go – and recently lost my job, so now I’ve got this to deal with. I’m confident this is a blessing – I’m learning about myself and what type of work environment is best for me. Everything is so much clearer for me as I look back on my past struggles – ADHD was there all the time.

Continue to reach out to others, listen or read books/podcasts, see if you can find a coach (even an online one would work). I actually am selling items from around my house on eBay so I can afford my ADHD coach – she is THAT important to me and my well-being. Most of us have been there, please continue to reach out! Corina Miles